[vpnc-devel] vpnc: Restore previous DNS settings when disconnected?

Edward Mendelson em36 at columbia.edu
Wed May 4 23:38:01 CEST 2005

Hello Thomas,

OK - hope this is what you asked for. First (between the dashed lines),
the text of resolv.conf BEFORE running vpnc:

domain columbia.edu
nameserver 192.168.11.1

Next, the text of resolv.conf after running the ubuntu vpnc-connect script:

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 155.40.34.136
nameserver 155.40.34.99
search media.ziffdavis.com

Finally, the text of resolv.conf after running ubuntu's vpnc-disconnect:

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

There were no error messages, but of course I can only connect to remote
sites by using numeric IP addresses. If I copy a backup resolv.conf file
over the autogenerated one, I can connect again to the web.

Is any of this useful? Is there something that I should be doing that I
am not doing?

Thank you again!

Edward